Tuesday, January 26, 2016

How To // Hide Those Pesky Window Cords

window_final


I love our bamboo shades. We have these throughout the house (although I've heard great things about this less-expensive option) and I adore the texture that they add to every space (especially in conjunction with our black metal rods and light curtains). But on the first floor, where we opted for the top-down, bottom-up option to give us privacy and still allow in as much natural light as possible, we had an annoying problem: too many cords (there's a cord on the left to raise the shade and one on the right for the top-down option). When they both hang down, it looks really messy.

window_withcords


This isn't the best picture but you get the idea. For a while, I just tried to ignore the problem but I kept catching sight of them out of the corner of my eye and they'd drive me nuts. So I started to tuck them under the header on top of the shade.This took, like, FOREVER every morning (that's 16 times around ... no thanks) since they kept falling down, etc. It made me a less-than-pleasant person to be around ... my children would run out of the room as soon as they saw me head towards the shades.

So in order to save my sanity, my parenting ability and probably my marriage, I decided to find something that would let me corral the cords quickly and neatly. I ordered these online...

window_hookbox


... and, when they arrived, cleaned each front pulley with alcohol and attached a hook like so...

window_hook



Because I have a cord on each side of my shades, mine look like this...

window_hooksonwindow


...but if your shades don't have the top-down option, you'll only have one cord and will only need to put one hook on the the cord-side pulley.

After letting the hook adhesive "set" for about an hour, I simply wrapped the cord around my hand and placed the top of the circle I'd just created over the hook.

window_cordloop


Et voilĂ , beautiful, cord-free shades.

window_withoutcords


Again, not the best photo (forgot to take one yesterday when the light was at its best) but you can see how much cleaner it looks.  It takes me about 5 minutes to do all the windows on our first floor every morning. Given the peace of mind it gives me, I think it's time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment