Thursday, September 10, 2015

Thrifted Thursday (sort of) // Fab Discount Fabric Sources

IMG_3963
// via //
If you have ever met me, I've probably told you about my love of Zimman's; a funky old department store-turned-fabric-mecca in Lynn, a small city outside of Boston. It's my go-to source when I've got clients on a budget since they have one of the largest on-hand selections of fabric outside of Manhattan. If you haven't gone, GO IMMEDIATELY. And hit up the bargain basement before you leave (be sure to check out their selection of leather; I got a gorgeous camel-colored hide for $199 a couple of months ago -- that's roughly 75% off retail! -- and can't wait to use it on these chairs).

But even Zimman's can't have everything so when I'm on a super-tight budget for something for myself (or my schedule doesn't allow for a trip to Lynn), and I know exactly what I'm looking for, I often turn to the internet. I've had great luck tracking down indoor/outdoor, kid-friendly Sunbrella fabrics for less than $13.00/yd for a couple of outdoor living projects for myself /family recently and thought I'd share the sources:

  • Fabric Guru is a massive online fabric retailer and their ebd-of-bolt prices are phenomenal. Last spring I found the most gorgeous grey Sunbrella fabric for a Cape Cod screened in porch for less than $12/yd (it retails for $35/yard). They list the available yardage so if you're cutting it close, don't delay. I tried to go back and buy the same fabric for a project for my own front porch and it was all gone.
  •  
  • CCSupplyDirect sells via eBay and their prices are gooooood. I just discovered them while finding a replacement for the fabric I mentioned above and was really impressed by their selection of high-end fabrics (Donghia at 80% off? Velvets for $20-24/yard? Sign me up). I just picked up 8 yards of this Outdura (similar to Sunbrella) fabric to recover this wicker set I picked up with the tags still on it for a steal on Craig's List about a month ago (I paid $350; it retails for over $2500). 
Hope those are helpful to people out there; can't wait to get my pieces and fabric to the upholsterer so I can share the before & afters!

No comments:

Post a Comment