Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Currently Coveting // Fouta Towels

fouta_2
// via //
About 5 years ago, I discovered fouta towels while traveling and my summer existence has never been the same. These things are AWESOME and are total life-savers for anyone who has to schlep a beach or pool bag around (read: all parents everywhere) and since the incredible weather this past weekend in Boston has me realizing that summer is actually going to happen, I thought I'd share why I think that these things are the best investment you can make for warm weather adventures (sunscreen aside of course ... always wear your sunscreen!).

If you haven't heard of them, these towels are what are traditionally used in Tunisia (in Turkey, they're call Peshtamals or Hammams) when both men and women visit the public baths. They're constructed from thin patterned cotton or linen fabric, generally have tassels on both ends and  come in a myriad of beautiful colors and stunning patterns (tons and tons of stripes ... my own personal heaven).

So ... you're probably wondering why I'm waxing poetic about a towel. Well, here's why:
  • They take up WAY less room in a bag and are light as a feather. I can carry 4 in my bag and they take up roughly the same amount of space as a single beach towel. (Boom! Mind blown.)
  • They dry INSANELY quickly so the number of wet towel complaints diminishes drastically
  • Because they dry so quickly, you don't have to deal with that nasty mildew smell. Hallelujah!
  • When you wash them, 20 minutes in the dryer will dry a whole slew of them
  • They last forever and get softer and cozier with wear & tear
  • They're huge and make for wonderful impromptu sand castle fort roofs.
  • They can double as a sarong; wayyyy cuter than wearing a beach towel
  • Umm, hello? They're GORGEOUS. I've used them as throw blankets, bedspreads, tablecloths....
I have both foutas and peshtamals in my collection. The peshtamals are great but the foutas (especially the ones made in Tunisia) weave are my favorite. There's something about the weave of a fouta that makes them even more durable and stain-resistant (like I said, I've used mine as a tablecloth).

If you're starting to purchase summer essentials, I *highly* suggest investing in a couple of these ... I promise that you'll love them. And to make it easier, here are five of my favorite fouta sources from around the web...

foutas

1. // 2. // 3. // 4. // 5. //
 

No comments:

Post a Comment