Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Favorite Things // Guilt-Free Breakfast Cookies (yes, cookies)

breakfastcookies
// via //
This year, when I turned 37, I noticed that my metabolism really slowed down.  In that past, I'd been able to "over indulge" for a couple of days and then just up the number of my work-outs and trim back down in abut a week. Welp, that is apparently no longer the case. Awesome.

So after I noticed that the Christmas bulge wasn't retreating, I decided to do what I could to help my metabolism break down its foods faster: I went "whole food", gave up carbs. And most dairy. And refined sugar.

I know, I know. Eek. Gasp. Ugh. But I let myself have a cheat day every week, I *staunchly* refuse to give up coffee or my cocktail hour and I've definitely noticed results. I'm never going to be my 24-year-old self but hell, I didn't really like her anyway.

Even though I'm not fully Paleo, I do tend to use the recipes. And I'm not going to lie, some of them a truly awful (in fact, there's one that quite literally gives me nightmares; I'm lucky there wasn't a full mutiny in the ranks at our house when I served it for dinner ... shudder). But there are also some great ones and there's one in particular has been a god-send. It's for cookies. For breakfast. No, really. Cookies. And my children LOVE them: they taste like banana bread, they're so easy that the kiddos can practically make them on their own and, best part, they can help me eat them without having to deal with guilt of any kind. Genius.

 So here's the recipe (based on this one from The Preppy Paleo -- a favorite Paleo recipe source)
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed (I generally put them in the Cuisinart and give 'em a good whirl before adding anything else)
  • 1/2 cup raw almond butter
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconuts
  • 1/4 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 cup currants or cranberries
  • 1/2 cup raisins (we love golden raisins but regular works too)
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (if desired)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients in a Cuisinart until well blended. Drop by the spoonful onto a greased or Silpat-lined baking sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.

Eat for breakfast. Sigh with pleasure and the knowledge that you just ate something delicious that's actually good for you. Repeat ad nauseum.

*** All hail dessert for breakfast! ***

No comments:

Post a Comment