Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Chalkboard Walls // Why You Need One & How To Clean One (It's easy, promise)

chalkboardwall_1
// via //
We have a chalkboard wall in our current kitchen (someday -- before we move -- I'll have professional pictures taken if it kills me) and I adore it. It's constantly in use in a multitude of ways:  a doodle pad, a teaching tool, a count-down calendar, a celebratory poster, a menu, a notepad, etc. It's an amazing -- and hugely affordable -- multi-tasker that can look great in any number of spaces (kitchen, mud room, bedroom, hallways, playroom).

gallerywall_5
// via //
I love it so much that I'm inevitably surprised by the reaction I get 9 out of the10 times that I suggest it to clients: "I love the look but it's so hard to keep clean! There will be chalk dust everywhere and it will look dirty all the time."

chalkboardwall_4
// via //
Oh. right. That again. It's at this point of the meeting -- or email -- that I smile and explain that I have the ultimate chalkboard wall cleaning secret...

chalkboardwall_2
// via //
It's Coca-Cola.

chalkboardwall_3
// via //
I know what you're thinking right now ... um, whhhaaaattttt???  But it's true...

chalkboard-walls-24
// via //
Coke is like magic fairy dust for chalkboard walls. It will clean your your wall back to its original, streak-free state every time in less than 2 minutes and without any dust.

It's a trick I learned waiting tables one summer in college and it has saved me countless hours of torment.

chalkboard-kitchen6
// via //
You'll need:
  • A 16 ounce bottle of Coke (not Diet Coke, not Pepsi).
  • A Spray bottle
  • A rag
  • All-purpose cleaner
69383650478753872_nwdjrll4_f
// via //
To use:
  • Pour the soda into the spray bottle
  • Spray it on to the chalkboard wall (a few spritzes will do the trick; the bottle should last you several rounds of cleaning)
  • Wipe off 
  • After it dries, go over it again with an all-purpose cleaner just because, well, Coke is sticky.
And Voila! You have a clean, perfectly streak-free wall in less time than it takes to make toast and with less effort.

 It's like high-calorie, carbonated magic.

***PS - When I'm doing a design for a birthday, the first day of school, or our annual advent calendar, I generally refer to this Pinterest board; so many good -- and easy -- ideas. ***


No comments:

Post a Comment