Thursday, February 5, 2015

Thrifted Thursday // Chinese Chippendale Dining Chairs


chinesechippendale
 ( via )
I'm not going to lie, I was tempted to keep this one to myself and add to the growing "collection" in my basement  (read: hoard) but I'm trying to keep additions to a minimum, so I opted to share.

As you probably already know, Chinese Chippendale or chinoiserie style chairs have been all the rage for the past few years and it's not hard to understand why. They've got great lines that work in both traditional and modern settings, the open back makes them more airy and less overwhelming than many dining options and they're tailor-made for DIY novices (a total overhaul only takes spray paint, a staple gun and some fabric).

chinesechippendale_cl
( via )
If/when these pop on on Craig's List, they're usually $150 per chair so I was *really* surprised to see this full set of 6, with a really unique caned back, for $100. Total. For Hickory chair quality (a high-end brand). Ummm, guys? That's $16.70. PER CHAIR.

00y0y_ln4dPTw2QVv_600x450
( via )

Yes, they need a little TLC (i.e. a DIYer with some wood glue and patience) but the value will come back threefold. Don't believe me? Here's a similar set on 1stdibs.com. My initial thought was to lacquer them white or black but there's a part of me that loves the more traditional wood finish ... with some crazy-cool fabric, they could be really sharp as is.


No comments:

Post a Comment