Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Family Room Makeover // Step One - The Mood Board


familyroom_moodboard_forblog

When one of my first clients got in touch to let me know that they'd decided to renovate & revamp their family room and wanted my help, I was over the moon. They're the sweetest family and they're kind of a designer's dream client; the couple knows what they like (and what they don't like) but still manage to be open to new ideas and are incredibly trusting when I suggest something out of their more traditional box. Plus, they're awesome and are so much fun to hang out with that it makes the whole process doubly-fun. Huzzah!

We're in the beginning stages of the design process but I wanted to share the mood board that I pulled together for them (and they very sweetly agreed to let me. Again with their awesomeness...) so that you guys could follow along through the process. The rug shown is similar to one that they already own and the blue paint color at the bottom left is the one they used in the adjacent room but pretty much everything else in the space will be new. Since these guys are paying for my time and effort, I can't share all the sources but for the most part, the pieces are coming from stores that are easily accessed across the country or have a great online presence. Go forth and search; you'll be able to find many of them with a little time and determination.

Some of the pieces on the board will be swapped out -- for example, Mr. Client is not a fan of that sideboard (bummer really because I love it and it's a STEAL) -- and I'd like to track down some vintage finds  (perhaps for the desk chair and side table?) to give the space as much personality and life as possible. But other than those tweaks -- and the addition of some art as they're keen to have a really cool gallery wall in the space -- I'm guessing that the end result won't be too different from the pic at the top. Oh, and I did I actually find a fabulous desk lamp today on clearance (down to $25 from $120) that we're hoping to use in lieu of the desk lamp shown. So there will definitely be movement but you can get the gist of where we're going.

I hope this gets yours creative juices flowing; is anyone working on a space in their own home? I'm chomping at the bit to work on my daughter's "big girl" room and I'll be sharing a similar mood board (with sources!) when I get it all pulled-together...

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne Stevens RasicFebruary 25, 2015 at 11:18 AM

    Love it! What program do you use for your mood boards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's a mix of Adobe products; primarily Photoshop & Illustrator

    ReplyDelete