Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Currently Coveting // Mexican Otomi Fabric



otomi_favorites

1.  // 2. // 3. // 4. // 5. // 6. // 7. // 8. // 9. // 10. // 11. 

I'm guessing that it has something to do with the godforsaken winter that we've had here in Boston but for the last few weeks, I've been nothing short of obsessed with the bright & happy Otomi patterns that keep popping up in my favorite magazines and blogs. Based on the ancient cliff paintings from the Tepehua-Otomi Mountains, these patterns are created by the indigenous Otomi people of Hidalgo in central Mexico using a muslin base with colorful embroidery embroidery sewn on. Filled with images of birds and deer, horses and rabbits and all wonderfully-bright, busy and happy, they are the perfect antidote to the grey, snow-filled days we've been experiencing in New England for the past few years  months weeks -- and I, for one am determined to have some in my life in the near future.

Since Greta is creeping towards the big move from crib to bed (she's growing up wayyy too fast!), I've been pulling together ideas for Greta's "big girl" room (I'll be sharing a mood board and all sources some time soon) and I've decided that her room is the perfect spot to highlight these gorgeous motifs. The problem is that I can't seem to decide the best way to use incorporate them:  Bedding? Wallpaper? Wall art? Pillows? There are just so many options that it's hard to choose just one. The items above are some of the etsy.com options that I'm considering. I'm going to be honest ... I want them all!


No comments:

Post a Comment