Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A Cocktail To See You Through To Spring // The Orange-Infused Old-Fashioned

old_fashioned
// image via //
Unless you've been in a coma for the past few weeks, you've heard about the crazy number of snowstorms that those of us in Boston have been "enjoying".  I'm not going to sugar-coat it folks, it's been AWFUL. But there's been a silver-lining that I've come to think of as a "sanity saver". It's when cooped-up kids and parents pile on their gear and troop to each others homes to get out some energy, get in some conversation, eat together and enjoy some libations (adults-only of course). A few days (weeks?) ago, I slogged over to the home of friends/neighbors/generally-awesome people after storm #2 (or was it #3?) with the kids after they'd taken pity on me (my husband was traveling that week. Fun times, fun times) and they introduced me to the most amazing drink ever: the Orange-Infused Old-Fashioned.

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I drink very few things (I just can't handle sugary cocktails or heavily-mixed drinks anymore): vodka-sodas (Tito's is my go-to but I always get this one if they have it) with two limes, a few white wines (my favorites are this one and this one -- so good!) and very occasionally -- and really only in the company of my husband and a couple of really close friends -- a fantastic red (this one is my favorite). To say I was hesitant to try something new was an understatement but I was their guest so I figured I'd give it a try.  

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR, people, it was amazing (I'm actually salivating right now thinking about it). They'd come up with the recipe on their own after falling for a signature cocktail at local favorite Steel & Rye but made some changes since they wanted to incorporate some citrus flavor. Sunday, during the most recent snowstorm, their family trooped over to our place for some food & fun and -- hallelujah! -- they taught us how to make our own. A good time was had by all and sanity was restored (for the time being but more snow is expected today. yay.).

I'd definitely suggest this drink to anyone; it's a perfect cocktail for a cold night ... or a hot one for that matter.

To make it yourself, you'll need:
Directions: 
  1. Place (1) sugar cube (or 1 tspn of loose sugar) into the glass.
  2. Pour (3-4) dashes of orange bitters over the sugar, add a splash of water, and break up the sugar.
  3. Over the glass, peel a generous slice of the orange rind. Use it to coat the rim of the glass and then wring/twist and mash the peel in your hands and place in the glass.
  4. Using a spoon, muddle the sugar, orange, and bitters in the bottom of the glass.  
  5. Pour (2) oz. of bourbon over the bitters/sugar/orange mash
  6. Place 1 over-sized ice cube in the glass and stir.
  7. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment