Friday, January 30, 2015

Before + After // Our House On The Hill

BEFORE_AND_AFTER
Apologies on the "after"; I'll get better ones once the snow melts and everything's green again.
I've gotten several email & FB requests for pictures of my house but as I'm in the process of having the interiors photographed by a professional (which, let's be honest, could take months), I thought I'd share a couple of quick before + after photos of the exterior renovation of our grand old gal.

No one ever believes me when I try to explain the sad state of our house when we bought it; after being flipped and foreclosed on over 4 times, it was a total mess and a full-on eyesore. Case in point...

picture-uh=7b02a4f3b48992c38d9f6551943ea-ps=305447746a6d90133d7afee6784c6694-111-Ocean-St-Boston-MA-02124
The house at purchase. Don't the broken vinyl shutters & plastic (yes, plastic) windows give it flair?
...and another view. I think it's important to note that these were the *real estate* photos meant to entice someone want to purchase the home. Tempted?
picture-uh=cd5f3d98b7d2018bfb869a77e7ebf9f-ps=1430ead4febbad5803c4c4ed290a120
Those electric meters, the satellite dish and the unprimed porch wood? Loved those too.
Yeah, it was bad. But we loved the high ceilings inside, the natural light, the street and the neighborhood. So we bought it knowing that it was going to take a LONG time to bring the exterior back to life.

Over the course of 3 years, we (and by "we" I mean really good professional contractors) removed dead and dying trees, replaced the roof and gutters, took off the vinyl siding...

House Exterior
Barn red on a Victorian? Apparently someone thought it was a good idea.
... repaired or replaced the shingle and siding ...

Untitled
Better ... but still ugly.
... rebuilt two porches...

Untitled
Because of construction delays,  our *very* patient neighbors had to wait an entire year for us to paint the exterior...

... replaced many of the windows (ongoing job), brought the garage back from the brink...

Untitled
The garage was almost falling down when we bought it. Literally.
Untitled
The backyard was actually fenced and planted before we painted the garage. Our sweet neighbors must have just LOVED looking out their kitchen windows at this putrid 70s green color.
...dug up the parking lot taking up two-thirds of our backyard...

Untitled

... and fenced in the backyard.

Untitled

And then, finally, we painted the house...

Untitled
The house last fall...complete with residents.

...and the garage.

Untitled
Apparently, we take our lawn care *very* seriously.
After the contractors left, my husband and I handled all the landscaping planting roses, grass, hollies, hydrangea and boxwood in the front and back of the house. It's an on-going job; there's still plenty to do ... but we're pretty sure our grand old lady is happy with her face-lift (I think the neighbors are just glad it's over).

2 comments:

  1. If it counts for anything, both of my kids looked askance and how amazing the before/after shots are and asked if we could go there. "Well, kids, actually,....:)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too funny, Kendra! At least the recognized the transformation; Rett was watching me as I pulled together the "before" photos and told me that he liked it better with the red shutters...

    ReplyDelete