Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A Trick to Help Turn Off the Brain & Get To Sleep Quickly

sleep_updated

My husband has recently been spending almost every week away on business which leaves me at home to take care of the house, the kids, my own work, etc. I can handle it (just barely) but I've found that getting my brain to shut down at bedtime is that much harder when I'm trying to juggle that much more. I've been doing a lot to help me get to "rest mode": eating earlier (and less often), drinking less often, have been very OCD about my night-time beauty routine and have been going through bottles of my beloved lavender essential oil. But until very recently, I would still spend up to an hour-and-a-half tossing and turning before finally getting to sleep. And trust me when I say that 1.5 hours is really needed when your kids are up at 5:30 every morning. But then last week, I came across this article and decided to give it a whirl. Here's how it works:

Step One: Breathe in through your nose for 4 seconds.
Step Two: Hold your breath for 7 seconds.
Step Three: Exhale through your mouth for 8 seconds.
Step Four: Repeat until you fall asleep.

And it worked! It really, really worked! Admittedly, I felt like I was going to die the first few times I held my breath but I got the hang of it within three rounds and was asleep by round five (I think I remember counting out my fourth round but that's it ... so no more than 5). And it's gotten easier each night ... now I'm usually mid-way through the second round and then .... blessedly sweet sleep.

As for those cute lounge pants in the picture up top? I highly recommend the purchase: super comfy, super cozy and "dressy" enough that with a sweater or jacket (or coat in the current frozen tundra conditions here in Boston) I've been able to get away with wearing them to my son's early morning school drop off without looking like that mom. Score!


1 comment: