Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Currently Coveting // Hmong Tribal Textiles



Tribal textiles are popping up everywhere and it's not hard to understand the appeal. They manage to feel simultaneously warm and modern, cozy and crisp and they invariably add depth and texture to a space in a way that something mass-produced simply can't. 

One of the tribal textiles that I love most -- and which hasn't quite hit the mainstream (yet) -- is the batik and embroidery work of the Hmong people from the mountainous regions of China, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam. While there are various types of regional styles, almost all of the textiles incorporate strong geometric designs incorporating boldly contrasting colors. Originally applied to courtship skirts, men's collars and baby slings, the fabrics are now being used in a multitude of ways.

hmongpillows_flat

Now that fall is  here, I'm thinking that I need to get a couple of new pillows for the living room.  And I think pillows made from this fabric would be gorgeous. In order to make it feel more cozy for the coming cold (again? really? already?) New England months,  I'm going to purchase vintage fabric like this, grab some matching velvet (go fuschia? go black?) for the backing and have my seamstress create the pillows. The only problem is that I can't make up my mind which one I want the most ... they're all so beautiful!

il_fullxfull.656174603_gb2q

And if you're not in the market for pillows, there are so many other interesting things made out of this material. I bought a gorgeous over-sized clutch similar to this one summer and I had so many people come up and ask me about it;  it added such a great pop of color to my outfit every time I wore it.

il_fullxfull.612482752_8va2


And it was only $30; hard to beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment