Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Currently Coveting // Provincetown's Salt House Inn



For the past two years, I've driven by Provincetown's Salt House Inn almost every summer Friday on my way to pick my husband up from the fast ferry. The clean, graphic typography on the exterior signage of the simple shingle building always appealed to me but for one reason or another (I blame the under-5 set in our household), I didn't get around to actually looking up their website until last month.



But OH MAN ... it was so worth the wait. The spaces Kevin O'Shea Designs created are so gorgeous.


//via//

I am now determined to find a reason to stay there at least one night. A little silly since we have a place to stay less than 20 minutes away but for the sake of design research, I feel it must be done (I'm a giver like that).

My favorite detail has to be the use of grouped utilitarian objects to serve the dual purpose of artwork & headboards in all the guest rooms.


//via//

These spaces also offer a valuable lesson in good design: too often, people opt to leave their walls empty because they don't think they've got anything of worth to showcase. But these rooms go to show that anything with a little history can be collected (inexpensively), curated easily and showcased beautifully. They have history, they have a story, they have *life* to them.

Instant. Art.



Think about it: how often have you seen those old typesetter's drawers at a flea market or thrift shop or antique jumble and passed them by without a second glance?  But a collection of 5 or 6 of those hung gallery style behind a crisp white-linen bed would look absolutely fantastic.


The same could be said about a lot of older things that have outlived their original use ... but still have a story to tell.

6 comments:

  1. This place is awesome! I love those red lanterns. Do you think they are old?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is that they are old but they've all been spray-painted the same red to make them feel more cohesive. I love that pop of red; such a strong statement in an otherwise understated space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meghann! Love the blog! We just bought a house and have huge bare walls. The style in this post is one I really love (you know I love the Wellfleet/Truro/P-Town style). I am looking for ideas for interesting (non-traditional art) wall pieces. Great ideas, and I love how you're talking about them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie-

      High praise; thanks so much! I'll do my best to keep posting things like this; there are so many talented people out there doing amazing things ... so many great places to get inspiration.

      Delete
  4. Meghann! Thank you for this wonderful write up on Salt House Inn, you must come stay with us at some point and experience it firsthand, we would love to have you! We are also debuting a second property in town next Spring which we are very excited about! P.S. the red lanterns were all originally red, it look a lot of scouring to collect that many in the same hue, a labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin- What a lovely surprise; thank you so much for taking the time to comment! All of the Inn's spaces look absolutely wonderful; your blend of a simple, streamlined design with those wonderful pops of vintage treasure are such a visual feast for the eyes. My husband and I will find a way to get away for a night if it kills us!

    Thanks for the clarification on the lanterns -- I tip my hat to you as I can only imagine the hours it took to track down all those red lanterns. But the end result is most definitely worth the effort ... just stunning.

    By the way, loved the write-up in the NYT on your P-town home last week. I will definitely be checking out the Fairbanks Inn next year; can't wait to see what magic you've created...

    ReplyDelete